Effective communication is an integral part of all relationships, whether they be professional, romantic or friendly. Oftentimes, disagreements, frustrations or ruptures in these relationships happen due to miscommunication. Communication styles can differ based on a number of factors, including culture, gender, language, personality and past experiences.
Here are some general tips and tricks you can use across any relationship to effectively communicate your needs in a productive manner and avoid the common pitfalls of miscommunication:
- Be aware of your non-verbal communication cues – are you actively listening?
- Be direct and honest, use clear language to articulate your needs.
- Try scheduling time for important conversations that are convenient for all parties involved.
- Be open to feedback.
- Articulate your expectations for outcomes from the conversation at the beginning.
- Try writing down your thoughts beforehand, this can provide you with structure and clarity on your needs and how you want to share them.